- The potential risks for companies who do not properly handle a PR crisis are the loss of respect and credibility of the organization as well as potential revenue loss. There have been some companies who have been able to recoup after suffering the devastating effects of poor crisis and PR management, but those are far and few in between and in some ways still have to deal with the outcome as it leaves a lasting effect on the brand.
2. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail, thus the benefit of getting ahead of a PR crisis is having a strategic plan focused on the key players, communication and timeline of outreach to achieve the best results in handling a crisis. Additionally, from a leadership perspective, this approach showcases a firm stance in working closely towards identifying the problem and generating solutions, which leads to the perception of a more transparent, adaptable organization.
3. A crisis is always on the horizon so what executives can do to best address the situation quickly is to share a statement first acknowledging the situation and following up that proper research into the matter is being actively pursued to reach a resolution. In just that initial statement alone, executives have positioned their organization as proactive, adaptable and direct as they challenge the issue head-on.
4. I believe there is value in hiring an outside crisis PR management team for the purpose of handling a situation mainly due in part to the perspective of the outside agency. When outside agencies handle internal or external crises of an organization, their approach is objective, and transparent thus the response will be the most suitable in dealing with the crisis. Oftentimes, companies struggle with crisis PR when it’s worked internally because there is a sense of loyalty to the organization and familiarity which can compromise strategic decision making.
5. The best way for corporate crisis management experts to build a strategic plan would be to initiate routine meetings that discuss the framework of their crisis strategy. Have a clear idea of who the key players are, the flow of communications from handling the crisis itself to how it will be communicated to the public and when, and finally the after-action plan.
Founder + CEO, Brandinc PR